Write Rotation-Invitational writing forum

A forum for fun writing and serious, too. Round robin stories. Writing coaches. Memoirs help. Publishing prep help. Advertising for authors. Read FAQ how to join for easy steps to join.
It is currently

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

No spamming, no flaming, no cursing. Be courteous. You know, the basics.

Post subject: Cindy write around open
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

story starter: Darlene Kirkpatrick
genre: unsure, yet
writers: Darlene Kirkpatrick,
story type: Write Around
Open, closed, or sign up: open
can it be nominated to be a fb story: no

Cindy returns home after years away to find things have changed more than she bargained for...

Post subject: Re: Cindy
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Cindy pulled her raggedy car into the gravel driveway. She hoped her aunt and uncle would be glad to see her. She took her time getting her things out, expecting they'd greet her at the door. When they didn't, she guessed they were harder of hearing now then they were at her last visit. She remembered with a tinge of guilt that it had been over 4 years since her last visit. The fact that this was not a social visit-that she had come to ask for help made the guilt heavier in her stomach.

Cindy let herself into the house with a yell, "Aunt Grace! Uncle Tim! Its me, Cindy!" No one answered her call. She continued to the back of the house, remembering her aunt and uncle's love for their garden and hours spent watching and helping them grow the food they ate. The thought gave her another pang of guilt. She hoped they still got around well enough to garden. She no longer knew. They were her only living relatives and she had neglected them altogether. "Uncle Tim! Aunt Grace!" Cindy called from the back door.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE?" A booming base voice asked from behind her. Startled, she spun to face the unfamiliar man.

"Your house?" Suddenly, she was very timid and feeling less than sure of herself. The man seemed to take up most of the room.

"Yes, MY house." He had quit yelling, but still, his voice was loud.

Her brain scrambled for an explanation. Had she been gone so long she even forgot where they lived? "I....I thought Grace and Tim Warren lived here. I'm their niece."

A slow smile spread across his face and it dawned on her just how icy blue this red headed man's eyes were. "They did. I bought the house from them last year." He stuck his hand out to shake her hand. "I'm Red Hanson. You must be Cindy." She automatically put her hand in his, surprised this tall stranger knew her name. "Tim and Grace moved into town to be closer to the Doc."

"Oh." She was silent for a few breaths. Her brow wrinkled in concentration. "Do you have their phone number or address?"

"One sec." His smile had stayed, but didn't make her any easier. He rummaged through a nearby drawer until he found a beat up leather book. He flipped a few pages. "Here it is." He pulled a pen and pad of postit notes from the drawer and copied the information down for her. "Here, use my phone."

He left her to call her aunt and uncle and settled into his favorite recliner. After a few minutes, she came out. "All set. Thank you."

"You staying at the inn?"

She looked at him curiously. "No. I'm staying with Aunt Grace and Uncle Tim."

"Small place. They're staying in an efficiency, right?"

"I don't know. They said we'd work it out."

He nodded his head.

"Thank you again."

"Anytime and if you or your folks need anything, you know where to find me." He stood and opened the door for her.

She walked out the door.

The idea had barely formed; not had time to become a plan. Red pushed his right hand through his ginger hair. She was walking away. He didn't have time to plan. "Wait!"

Her dress and her long blond hair flowed around her as she suddenly turned to face him.

"Look, just stay here. I know you were expecting different folks to still be living here, but there's plenty of room for you to stay a few weeks-"

"Nights." She interrupted him. "It will only be a few nights."

He nodded his head and opened the door for her. "Call Grace and Tim and let them know. I'll prepare your room."

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

She followed him back inside. He went to the linen closet and then to her old room. He somehow knew which room was hers. She shook off the weird feeling she was having over him knowing so much about her even though they'd never met. Her aunt and uncle must have talked about her. She called and let them know she was staying.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Her aunt and uncle were delighted she was home. They made plans for her to meet them for breakfast at the huddle house.
Cindy stifled a yawn. Maybe she could sleep better here at home then she had been in the past few weeks. She shook off the thought. No, this was no longer her home. It was not even her aunt and uncle's home anymore. It belonged to the big man with impossibly blue eyes and messy red hair.